Saturday 21 July 2012

Drinking wine in France

One issue I’ve found in France is that almost all restaurants I’ve looked at just have the wine region and if the wine is red, white or rose. There are no other descriptors such as winemaker or vintage year. I suppose I could ask before ordering, but the name probably wouldn’t mean anything to me since I’ve been exposed to a limited number of French winemakers. I did enjoy a nice light and juicy rose from Coteaux du Languedoc, but since I ordered a glass instead of a bottle and didn’t think to ask anyone details at the time, I can’t provide anymore here.

Rochadour, Cote du Rhone. I had this wine at a restaurant in Paris. There was no distinct smell, perhaps a faint fruity smell after the wine had mixed with some air. The taste was smooth, light and fruity. JC85

Argine-Ferrari Iris & Figli Rosso di Toscana. This Italian red had oak notes and a strong smell. This was a full-bodied wine, not entirely smooth going down. JC85

No comments:

Post a Comment