Tuesday 5 July 2011

Another Rhone Valley Wine

Carte Noire Cellier des Dauphins 2008 $10.95 A Rhone Valley wine that tasted quite a bit different from the La Vieille Ferme Recolte. This one consists of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Cinsault. Other than the Syrah (Shiraz), not household grapes. It comes in a shorter and fatter bottle than the normal shape. Based on the bottle shape and label style, this looks like a much more expensive bottle. The wine had black cherry notes with spices. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg with a long finish. I did not love it like my partner did, however it intrigued me, tasting different than most other wines I have experienced. JC85
I tried this wine again today, after opening it yesterday. This time I chilled it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes beforehand and had a nice steak dinner with it, compared to chicken fried rice yesterday. I thought it had a smoother taste and enjoyed it more today, however my partner did not, to each their own I guess. Perhaps this wine should have been decanted and chilled yesterday as well. I would give this wine an extra couple of points, so JC85-87.

No comments:

Post a Comment