Wednesday 26 October 2011

Drinking wine with Friends/Family

Enjoying a new bottle of wine with friends and/or family over a nice meal is often a pleasant experience. However, the one problem I find is that it is usually hard to get a good sense of a wine's characteristics when I am with others. When I'm engaged in conversation I don't want to look rude and pull out a pad and pen and start writing notes on the wine I'm drinking. I recently tried a couple of different wines at a family gathering that I don't even remember. Perhaps they weren't worth mentioning if there was nothing memorable about them, although I still would have like to mention which ones they were.

Two other wines I've recently had with companions are described below. There is not a whole lot of detail because, again, it was hard to fully concentrate on the wine when I'm listening and talking to others.

Two Oceans Cab-Merlot $9.95. This South African wine has black cherry scents and a fairly strong oaky taste mixed with fruit. This was a decent wine, but didn’t blow my socks off. JC84

Malivoire White 2008 $12.95. This is a nice, easy drinking white. However it is not a light white, such as a sauvignon blanc. It is made from mostly chardonnay, with some Riesling and gewürztraminer as well. I found this wine too sweet for my liking. White wine drinkers may enjoy this. JC83

No comments:

Post a Comment