Sunday 27 November 2011

Delaforce – A Force To Be Reckoned With

Last Christmas, I received a Delaforce 1994 vintage port as a gift. I have yet to open it, and hopefully I can control myself from opening it for some time. In 2002 Roy Hersh reviewed the ‘94 vintage and said it may just be the best Delaforce since the 1963 vintage.

Somehow the LCBO got their hands on a limited number of the 1963 vintage and released them for sale in late October as part of the vintages release. The bottles were priced at $215 and less than a month later, there are no longer any available.

The food and wine expo had LCBO vintages available to sample. The ’63 Delaforce was 14 tickets (aka $14) for a sample. I wasn’t going to spend that much on one small sample. As luck would have it, my fiancée found 33 tickets on the ground. She surprised me by telling me that she wanted to get it for me after I had been eying it.

Back in 1989, James Suckling of the Wine Spectator rated the ’63 Delaforce a 93, saying it was the best Delaforce in three decades and that it will continue to improve. After tasting this, I tasted my idea of perfection. It blew me away with subtle scents of caramel and sweetness. There was a very nice balance between caramel, sweet and alcohol. It was smooth and mature. JC100

No comments:

Post a Comment