Sunday 17 July 2011

Make-Your-Own Wine

At my future sister and brother-in-law’s wedding last weekend, they provided each guest with a bottle of Chianti that they had made at a make-your-own wine place. We had the opportunity to try this wine last night. I haven’t gone to one of these make-your-own places before, mainly because I was concerned I would end up being stuck with 100 bottles of wine that tasted like vinegar. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of their Chianti. It was a nice smooth taste, good with red meat, pasta or just sipping on. JC87

I tasted two Italian house wines at the LCBO yesterday. I had not heard of either of these wines before, however I was told by the man pouring the samples that they’ve been around for a long time, and in fact someone had come by earlier and commented that these wines were served at his wedding 30 years ago.

Fontana Di Papa Colli Albani $7.45. A white wine made with four different grapes, according to the man pouring the samples. I only noticed two names on the label, which didn’t mean anything to me. There were notes of citrus and raspberry. It was dry wine, which I enjoy. JC86

Fontana Di Papa Castelli Romani $7.45. A red wine made with Sangiovese and Montepulciano d’Abruzzo and perhaps one or two other grapes as well. This wine had a lot of flavour to it, coming off a little strong. JC84

No comments:

Post a Comment