Friday 21 October 2011

A Trip to the Summerhill LCBO

After a long week of work, I decided to treat myself and go to the Summerhill LCBO and pick up a couple of bottles, namely Montes Limited Selection Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenere 2010 and BV Coastal Estates Cabernet Sauvignon 2009. While there, I got a couple of free samples as well as a couple of paid samples at the tasting bar. The first free sample was Crown Royal Black (CRB).

I’ve never done a liquor review on this blog before, and I don’t think I’ll make a habit of it, but I wanted to comment on CRB. Both it and regular Crown are currently $2 off the normal price. What surprised me was that CBB is regularly $34.45 vs $28.45 for Crown, a $6 difference! There’s only $3 between Jim Beam white and black. I found CRB to be smoother and a little sweeter than Crown and taste more like bourbon. CRB is matured in charred oak barrels instead of white oak for Crown.

My second free sample was from South Africa: Oatley Tic Tok Cabernet Sauvignon $15.95 (on sale for $13.95). It was a nice wine, but didn’t wow me. Tastes of red cherry. JC85
 
The Tasting Bar
The nice thing about the tasting bars at certain LCBO locations is that I can try out wines (limit of 2) that may be priced well above what my budget would allow for.

Domaine Du Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Chateauneuf-Du-Pape 2008 $72.95. This wine, besides the long name, was a release from the Oct. 15 LCBO vintages. This is the first C-D-P that I have tried, as bottles are priced at $30 and up.  This wine had very nice fruit scents and favours. It was smooth, slightly sweet, light and delicious. An excellent wine that left me wanting more. JC92

Taylor Fladgate 20 Year old Tawny Port $67.95. Taylor Fladgate knows how to make good port. I have had the 20 year once before, but before I started writing about what I drink. This port is superb, with a golden-red hue and caramel scent. The taste is caramel and sweet. Unlike younger ports I have had, it goes down well. Truly enjoyable. JC95

No comments:

Post a Comment