Sunday 16 October 2011

Sampling Two Reds

I was back at my second favourite LCBO this afternoon (Avenue and Lawrence). There is a tasting bar that offers some of the new vintage releases, however unlike the Summerhill LCBO, the bar is not constantly staffed and you have to flag down an employee to pour your samples. After debating (not seriously) whether to try a sample of the famous Opus One (selling for $340/bottle), I decided that $15 for a small sample was not in the budget for today. Instead I tried a couple of samples for $0.75 each.

Apothic Red 2009 $15.95. This California red is a blend of zinfandel, merlot and syrah. It has a somewhat sweet taste to it. Hints of red cherry. It would be a nice wine with an appetiser. JC84

Koyle Royale Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 $19.95. To me this tasted more like a Cab Sauv from California than from Chile, where it is actually from. This wine has a lot of nice fruit flavours with a hint of vanilla and oak. My favourite Chilean Cab Sauv to date. JC87

No comments:

Post a Comment