Tuesday 2 August 2011

2 More Italian House Wines and the 2nd Best LCBO

So after Summerhill, the next best liquor store in Ontario is the one on Avenue north of Lawrence. There is a tasting bar, however not as extensive as Summerhill. It’s also the first LCBO I’ve seen that is on two floors.

Beringer Alluvium 2007 $39.95 – I sampled this wine at the LCBO on Sunday. It had a smooth oaky taste with a hint of vanilla. It reminded me somewhat of Trius Grand Red. I thought Alluvium was a type of grape at first, but this wine is actually made up of 5 different grapes. Then I thought that the name was a take on “all of them”, but it turns out it is a Latin word meaning sand by a river or something along those line. Whatever it means, I enjoyed it. JC87

Sterling Vintners Chardonnay 2010 $14.95 – A free sample at the LCBO. There were notes of apple and pear. I liked this wine and could see it going well with a light fish or chicken dish, or perhaps appetisers. JC86


I “sampled” two wines at a wedding on Saturday:
Cavallina Pinot Grigio 2010 $7.35 – I thought this wine was nice, but a little too sweet. JC85
Cavallina Nero D’avola Syrah 2009 $7.45 – This wine took a while to open up. At first I didn’t like it too much, but as the night rolled on it went down easier. JC84

No comments:

Post a Comment