Tuesday 16 August 2011

Carmenere – Chile’s Grape

Carmenere is to Chile what Malbec is to Argentina. It was originally brought over from France and is often mistaken for Merlot due to the similarities of the grapes. In fact, according to the Wine Bible, sometimes a wine from Chile labelled as Merlot is in fact carmenere.

Santa Rita Reserva Carmenere $13.95 – I had never tried wine made from the carmenere grape before. I had heard that often carmenere can taste too “green” as in green peppers. This wine from Santa Rita was one of the top rated value wines on winealign.com. I was eager to try and decided to enjoy it with a nice steak and baked potato. It went well with the meal. It reminded me somewhat of a Cab Sauv, however with less scent. In fact I couldn’t distinguish any scent from this wine. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this wine. It had fresh vegetable and black pepper tastes and a nice smooth finish. JC 90

No comments:

Post a Comment